Monday, January 2, 2012

Perfection

Frozen in fear, the lie that keeps me stuck. It doesn't shout at me, if it did I'd probably have an easier time fighting it off.  No, it whispers...it hisses in my ear. When I wake up and look in the mirror or as I talk, the lie creeps in behind my ear:

To look perfect, with every hair and piece of jewelry just so. Not accepting less than perfect work. I must be the perfect person to everyone. Fulfilling their needs, anticipating their feelings and responding flawlessly. Because of course that's possible!


And then, there it is, the truth that does SHOUT at me. It hits me right where my bangs hit my forehead and reminds me that those crooked bangs can stay that way. Perfection of my own isn't the goal, but His righteousness, a much deeper perfection than I could ever achieve. This is why Jesus came, so that when I wake up and look in the mirror, I see myself through His Son's sacrifice. As a daughter of the King who, for all He cares, can have mismatched socks, as long as my feet follow after Him. 
~Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment